Monday, 21 March 2011

World Wide Web

This week we are covering the World Wide Web, it's history and it's functionality.

I am quite interested in the post structural theorists and their thoughts on reading online. It's quite a good pondering point. Checking out the examples we were given was a bit odd, narrative really doesn't work but the young boy's page about his life I thought worked well. I think narrative doesn't work as you need to read from start to finish with the story plotted out as the author intended, information sourcing though is a different story. When you search for information you just read what you want and search for more, it doesn't need to be read from start to finish and that is true for printed material not only online. For example you don't read a cookbook from start to finish, you just look up the pages you want to read.

I also was very impressed with Tim Berners-Lee' vision and forethought in keeping his protocols free for everyone to share and use. If he hadn't the massive amount of information transfer and sharing we enjoy today just wouldn't be possible.

Going into hospital for surgery on my foot today, so looking forward to next week and finishing my assignment to give me something to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment